Monday 30 April 2012

Amanuensis Monday - Will of Mary Pickup (Walker) (1839-1916)

Mary is the wife of John whose will I extracted two weeks ago here. The two wills are extremely similar, but Mary has expanded in a couple of places.

-------------------------------------------



This is the last Will and Testament of me Mary Pickup of Rose Cottage Sherburn in Elmet in the County of York, made this fifth day of November in the year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and thirteen. I hereby revoke all Wills made by me at any time hereto fore.
Written three years before her death.

I appoint Joseph Thomas Jackson and James Beckett Jackson of South Milford to be my Executors and direct that all my debts and funeral expenses shall be paid as soon as conveniently may be after my decease, to be paid out of the money standing to my credit in the Yorkshire Penny Bank Ltd.
Live her husband, all expenses are paid first. The executors are also the same two people, however whilst James is still a Postman, Joseph is now a newsagent.

I give and bequeath unto Harriet Elders and Edith Pickup my two daughters the money standing at my credit in the Leeds Industrial Cooperative Society Ltd to be equally divided between the said two daughters.
This is a follow on from John's will - his wishes.

The amount of money standing to my credit in the Yorkshire Penny Bank Ltd I give devise and bequeath the sum of £100 to my daughter Edith Pickup and the rest of the money in the said Bank to be equally divided amongst my seven children namely as follows; Francis James Pickup, Mary Jane Pargeter, Fred Walker Pickup, Sarah Ann Thornton, Harriet Elders, Kate Pickup and Edith Pickup.
John's will stated all the money should be divided between the seven children equally, but it the Leeds Industrial Cooperative Society money was only to be given to Edith if she remained at home with her parents. The extra £100 (and the 1911 census) suggests Edith remained living with her mother until her death, and the money was a hard earned reward. Mary also lists all her children by name which gives me Sarah's middle name (I only knew the A), as well as married names for Mary Jane and Sarah Ann. It's interesting that they ran out of middle names after the first four children!

The testimonial service of my late husbands to be divided as follows, namely my son Fred to have the tray, my daughter Edith the teapot and the other articles of the service the other children must divide them amongst themselves.
Identical to John's will (this time with the correct transcription of tray - thanks Lauren!)

The furniture to be sold and the proceeds divided equally amongst all my seven children above mentioned with the exception of my bed, bolster and pillows it is my wish they be given to my daughter Edith Pickup in addition to her share of the furniture.
With Mary still alive, John's will gave the furniture to her. It's interesting that Edith gets the bed - perhaps she was eyeing it up before her mothers' death!

Mary Pickup

Signed by the said testator Mary Pickup in the presence of us present at the same time who at her request in her presence and in presence of each other have both entered our own names as witnesses.
Joseph Thomas Jackson.
James Beckett Jackson

On the 4th day of November 1916 Probate of this Will was granted at Wakefield to Joseph Thomas Jackson and James Beckett Jackson the Executors.

-------------------------------------------
The value of this will was £977, £965 after the debts were paid, over £900 more than the value of John's will. I'm intrigued where she got her extra money from - perhaps a windfall from someone else?

No comments:

Post a Comment