Monday 7 May 2012

Occupations Transcription

I've exhausted the census records for my paternal Granddad's ancestors so I have moved on to my paternal Grandmothers. So far they're all farmers! But I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what is said in the 1891 census:


From the bottom, I can read Scholar and Ag Assistant (?). The top one has me confused however. The first word seems to be Father (The owner of the occupation, Jeffrey Cowton, is 23 in 1891). The household does have three children; Mary E, Robert F and Ethel I Cowton, however I can't work out who their father is as Jeffrey has a number of siblings!

If anyone can make sense of the occupation I'd be very grateful!

5 comments:

  1. "Farmer's Assistant / Ag" ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if it could be "Father's assistant / Ag"? And same for his brother below?

      Delete
  2. Yes, I agree with Niall. Never seen that before though - more important than a mere 'ag lab' perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Blogoversary! I loved following your blog this year. I was a "Young Genealogist" once, since I started when I was a teenager. I used to be half the age of everyone, but, well, thirty five years later I'm no longer the young one! I'm hoping that you will be blogging and researching for a long time, too! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Blogoversary! Keep up the good work. I was in my 20's when I started and now I am in my 40's. You will never run out of things to research.

    ReplyDelete